Sunday, January 30, 2011

Program Review: Kuchipudi Nrityosava

Hyderabad is like a desert for traditional arts. The programs here are very mediocre and poorly attended. The worst part is, there is no interest in developing art culture.

On Monday Jan 24th I managed to find a Kuchipudi dance recital to attend. It was hosted by Telugu University, which is the only institution in Hyderabad that pays any attention to classical arts. However, the organizers, as usual, did a horrible job publicizing their event.

First on the agenda was an hour long discussion conducted by a few men who do not know a thing about dance. They discussed how Kuchipudi is on a serious decline and needs to be revived and brought out to the world. This is the case with all Kuchipudi events nowadays: lots of talk and little progress. It frustrates me to my core to listen to these people. I don't want to talk anymore, I want to do!!

The program commenced with a performance by Vyjayanthi Kashi's daughter Prathiksha Kashi. I found her program particularly interesting as she presented two items from the Krishna Leela Tarangini, which is the text I am doing my research on. Following tradition she first presented Jaya Jaya Swamin, an invocation to Ganesha. This choreography was nothing like the choreography I learned for this song. The song was actually sung in a different raagam, with text from various other songs/slokams mixed in. I found the choreography to be fresh because of the use of the full stage, especially the diagonal lines. The second item from the Tarangini she performed was Nanda Nandana Gopala, set in Raagamalika. The song and choreography were very similar to what I learned from my Guru Uma Aunty.Traditionally in "Tarangam" choreography the dancer narrates an episode from Krishna's life in the middle of the item, Prathiksha did not do so in this item. Though the choreography origin is questionable, it was well executed by the dancer.

The second artist to grace the stage was Bala Krishna. I had not heard of him before, I still do not know if he is a traditional artist from the Kuchipudi village or an avid learner like the rest of us. He began with the Bala Gopala Mam Tarangam. This was once a very popular Tarangam, but has not been performed in recent times. I was hoping to bring it back into performance, which is why I am presenting it during my show on February 20th. Bala Krishna beat me to it. He was very graceful and feminine but the choreography was not refined. The movements seemed rough and almost vulgar, which was a stark contrast to his feminine facial expressions. He narrated the popular episode of Krishna stealing butter from a gopika's house. He finally concluded the piece by dancing on the rims of a brass plate with a pot of water on his head. Since the 80s, Vempati Chinna Satyam's clan has grown immensely (they perform tarangam with only the plate and no pot), so seeing Bala Krishna perform this tarangam was a treat.




The second item he performed was a sabdam that was on the Ramayanam. He narrated the story of Marich disgusing himself a deer. And later Ravana disguising himself as a begging Brahmin in order to lure Sita. I really enjoyed this piece because he easily transitioned between male and female characters and the difference was very clear. I have noticed male artists are easily able to portray female roles but I have seen very few female artists playing strong male roles well. It is easy for a female to play a character such as Krishna or Vishnu who are not as masculine as the demonic male characters. But most females have a difficult time playing characters like Ravana or Shiva. It is interesting to see how even Indian male gods are classified in dance.

The last portion of the concert that I saw was a choreography by Bhagavatula Sethu Ram. I do not wish to say much about this performance because it was nothing extraordinary. Neither the dancers abilities, not the choreography stood out. I think it is a problem with group performances as synchronization never seems to be a priority for Kuchipudi artists.

I am really hoping to see more Kuchipudi programs soon! Hyderabad, I am pleading you......

2 comments:

  1. Teja, So good to read this review and know that you are following your passion for Kuchipudi. Please keep them coming in... You may not know me but I met you at a performance in the Bay area and I am so happy to see that you are doing things that will uplift the art and create awareness amongst the younger generation...All the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how the organizers can publicize these kinds of events better - what works in Hyderabad the best? Also, what kind of audience do these organizers want to attract - are they attracting the wrong kind? Teja, we miss you back here in the USA but go change the world!!

    ReplyDelete